A19003 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B ‘Car Door’ 1:24 Scale
These early machines were somewhat rushed into service and it was discovered that a number of modifications would be desirable, if not totally essential. Perhaps the most noticeable difference from the later models were around the canopy area – the first Typhoons were supplied with a forward opening ‘car door’ style cockpit entry for the pilot which even included a wind down window. The pilot also had a transparent roof panel, which hinged open to the left and some machines had the addition of a rear-facing mirror, on the canopy frame.
Some of the other options this new version will allow are:
- The new ‘car door’ style canopy structure
- Earlier ‘car door’ pilots seat
- Alternative main undercarriage wheel
- Pneumatic tail wheel
- Alternate cannon fairings for the guns
- Different internal frame structure
- 500Ib ‘Long Tail’ bombs
- Livery A: R7752 PR-G, Roland Beamont, 609 Squadron Manston 1943
- Livery B: RB781 SA-H 486 Squadron
- Livery C: EK270 EL-X 181 Squadron
- Livery D: JP671 XP-R 174 Squadron
In addition, this new version of the 1:24 scale Hawker Typhoon will give the modeller the option to construct his model with or without the main aerial in place, with a similar option for the pilot’s optional rear-facing mirror.